Trinity College Dublin

Skip to main content.

Top Level TCD Links

Health, Environment and Climate Change (CO7052)

Module Coordinator:               Niall Roche
ECTS Value:                             5

Aims
This module examines two critical Perspectives in Global Health that in particular affect the vulnerable in developing countries. The module will introduce students to the key environmental factors (predominantly in the built environment) that currently impact on the health of the poor and practical ways to address  these risks to human health. The second part of the module will aim to provide students with an appreciation of climate change as an emerging threat to health and development and examine how health systems need to adapt.

Learning Outcomes
On successful completion of this module, students will be able to:
•          Apply knowledge and understanding of what environmental health and climate change mean in the current global health context.
•          Develop an awareness of the key components of environmental health to consider in the design and implementation of a public health programme.
•          Develop an awareness of how climate change and health issues can be tackled in terms of financing, actors and action (adaptation and mitigation)
•          Integrate environmental health and climate change into the global debate on poverty alleviation and the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals.

Module Content

  • Introduction to environmental health and climate change
  • Hygiene, Sanitation and Water Supply
  • Settlement planning, vector control and indoor air pollution
  • Tobacco control
  • The science of climate change and the impact of climate change on human health
  • Mitigation and Adaptation to climate change including Disaster Risk Reduction Financing and advocating on the issue of climate change and health

Indicative Resources
The  module  coordinator  and  guest  lecturers  will  provide  recommended  reading  lists.    Lecture notes and additional materials will be posted on Blackboard.

Methods of Teaching and Student Learning
The module will cover approx. 20 hours of contact time. The module is delivered in a participatory fashion encouraging shared learning amongst participants. A range of methods are provided including direct teaching through PowerPoint, brainstorming, group exercises, case studies and video. Teaching and reading materials will be posted through Blackboard to facilitate preparation before class and self‐directed learning.

 

Methods of Assessment

30% of the module assessment will be gained from a group presentation exercise with the other 70% to be gained from a 2,000-word essay on a given topic

Last updated 31 October 2017 School Web Administrator (Email).